Male Breast Reduction Risks
There is always a certain amount of risk involved in all surgical procedures. Male breast reduction risks include infection, unfavorable results, allergic reactions, excessive bleeding, and loss of sensation. Dr. Richard Bendor-Samuel and Dr. Louis Boileau are board-certified surgeons with more than 25 years of experience who provide care that meets the highest standards of safety. Choosing to undergo surgery by our doctors in their state-of-the-art facility can minimize your risks and ensure satisfying results. Our doctors will thoroughly explain male breast reduction risks during your consultation at our Halifax, NS, office.
Patients considering male breast reduction must understand that they face a risk of:
- Allergic reactions: There is a risk of having an allergic reaction to the medications, bandages, and sutures used. An in-depth consultation with your doctor and review of your medical history can help your surgeon take measures to minimize the risk of a reaction.
- Anesthesia complications: Undergoing anesthesia requires close attention to the patient's vital signs. Doctors must also closely analyze the patient's health history to determine if he or she can safely undergo anesthesia. Having your procedure performed at a state-of-the-art facility with a certified anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist can significantly reduce the risk of anesthesia complications.
- Bleeding or blood clots: It is possible to experience excessive bleeding during surgery, and for blood clots to develop during recovery. Our surgeons take advanced precautions against excessive bleeding, and provide close monitoring after surgery to prevent or address blood clots.
- Unfavorable results: As with many elective plastic surgery procedures, there is the potential that the results you experience do not match the effects you envisioned. By being forthcoming and honest with your surgeon during your consultation, we can help manage your expectations and mitigate the risk that you will be unsatisfied with the results of your procedure.
- Numbness in the nipple: A common side effect of male breast reduction is nipple numbness. This symptom may persist for a few weeks after your surgery. If, after that time, sensation has not returned, call our office so that our doctors can ensure you encounter no further complications.
- Nerve, blood vessel, and muscle damage: As the treatment site heals, it is common for patients to experience pain as nerves and blood vessels regenerate. Your surgeon may recommend the use of prescription or over-the-counter medications to help provide relief during this time.
- Infection: It is imperative that you carefully follow the postoperative care instructions given to you by our staff. Following surgery, your risk for infection can increase, but your surgeon and the staff at The Landings Surgical Centre will discuss with you the signs of infection and ways to avoid it from occurring.
- Fluid accumulation: As the surgery site heals, blood circulation and your body's healing process can lead to fluid accumulation. By using a compression garment and following your doctor’s postoperative instructions, you can limit this side effect.
Surgeons You Can Trust
While these risks may seem significant, they can all be lessened because of the expertise and attention to detail of our surgeons. They each have over 25 years of cosmetic surgery experience, and are dedicated to ongoing education in order to provide patients the best possible care. Dr. Bendor-Samuel and Dr. Boileau are doctors you can trust with your aesthetic goals. They have been recognized in the community and by other memberships and organizations, such as the Canadian Medical Association and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. At The Landings Surgical Centre, we offer the latest medical technology for exceptional care and results.
Understand Your Options
At our practice, Drs. Bendor-Samuel and Boileau can help you achieve a successful male breast reduction procedure with minimal risks. To schedule your consultation, contact our office today.
"Our doctors and staff are cheerful, friendly, calm, courteous, and efficient. They have an excellent rapport with each other and work very much as a team."JoAnne Reid, Nursing Director, The Landings Surgical Centre