Pros And Cons of Gummy Bear Implants
Gummy bear implants, also known as form-stable implants or cohesive silicone gel implants, are a type of breast implant made of highly cohesive, semi-solid silicone gel that has a texture similar to that of gummy bears. At The Landings Surgical Centre, serving Halifax, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, we offer many types of breast implants so we can choose the right option for your unique cosmetic goals.
In this blog post, we discuss the pros and cons of gummy bear implants so patients can be prepared to help us create a surgical plan that will result in a successful outcome.
Advantages of Gummy Bear Breast Implants
There are several potential benefits to choosing gummy bear implants for breast augmentation, including:
Natural Look and Feel
Gummy bear implants are designed to mimic the natural shape and feel of breast tissue, which can result in a more natural-looking and feeling augmentation.
Reduced Risk of Rupture or Leakage
Gummy bear implants are less likely to rupture or leak than other types of implants because of their cohesive, semi-solid silicone gel filling.
Reduced Risk of Capsular Contracture
Capsular contracture is a potential complication of breast augmentation where scar tissue forms around the implant and can cause the breast to become hard or misshaped. Gummy bear implants may be less prone to capsular contracture because of their form-stable design.
Gummy bear implants are designed to maintain their shape over time, which can result in longer-lasting results compared to other types of implants.
Reduced Risk of Rippling or Wrinkling
Gummy bear implants have a more solid texture than other types of implants, which can help reduce the risk of visible rippling or wrinkling of the implant.
Disadvantages of Gummy Bear Breast Implants
While gummy bear implants can offer several potential benefits for breast augmentation, there are also some disadvantages and potential drawbacks to consider. These may include:
- Cost: Gummy bear implants can be more expensive than other types of implants due to their specialized design and materials.
- More invasive surgery: The surgery to insert gummy bear implants may be more invasive than other types of implants, as the implant material is more solid and requires a larger incision for insertion.
- Firmer feel: Some women may prefer a softer feel to their breast implants, and gummy bear implants can have a firmer feel due to their cohesive, semi-solid gel filling.
- Rotation risk: Gummy bear implants are shaped to match the natural contours of the breast, but if they rotate, they can cause an unnatural appearance that may require revision surgery.
- Limited sizing options: Gummy bear implants come in a limited range of sizes and shapes, which may not be ideal for women who have specific aesthetic goals or who want more customization options.
Contact Our Practice
It's important to discuss the potential benefits and drawbacks of different types of breast implants with a plastic surgeon to determine which option is best for your individual needs and goals. Contact The Landings Surgical Centre in Halifax today at (902) 492-2007 or send us a message online.