Common Side Effects of Eyelid Surgery
By The Landings Surgical Centre on March 23, 2016
The facial skin is exposed to a lot of harsh environmental elements. In addition, this delicate skin loses elasticity as a patient ages. In most patients, these imperfections are first noticeable on the areas surrounding the eyes. Because the skin around the upper and lower eyelids tends to be thinner than other facial skin, it is common for this skin to become loose and droopy, and for fine lines, wrinkles, and bags to develop. Eyelid surgery tightens the skin surrounding the upper or lower eyelids in order to soften the appearance of the skin and restore a more youthful appearance for patients. The results of eyelid surgery are overwhelmingly positive, but there will be some side effects that develop during recovery. Understanding eyelid surgery side effects helps our Halifax, NS patients be better prepared for the recovery period following a blepharoplasty procedure at The Landings Surgical Centre.
Side Effects of Eyelid Surgery
Because each individual is unique, the recovery period following eyelid surgery is likely to differ slightly from patient to patient. However, there are some common side effects that are likely to develop during the recovery period. While the extent of these side effects and their duration may vary slightly for each patient, most can expect to experience some combination of the following side effects while recovering from eyelid surgery:
- Pain: The body undergoes some trauma during eyelid surgery, so it is normal for patients to experience some pain and discomfort while they recover. Patients can use prescribed pain medication as directed in order to control this pain.
- Swelling: Swelling is inevitable following eyelid surgery. The skin around the eyes will appear puffy, making it difficult to notice any effects of the cosmetic procedure. While the duration of this swelling may vary slightly, most patients can expect significant swelling for at least the first seven to ten days after surgery. This swelling will gradually dissipate, making the results of eyelid surgery more noticeable as the body continues to heal.
- Bruising: Bruising is another common side effect of eyelid surgery. This bruising is likely to be present directly around the eyes, but may also extend out to the cheeks or forehead. As with swelling, these bruises should gradually fade during the first week of recovery.
- Impaired eyelid functions: As the eyelids adjust to the alterations that were made during surgery, and especially while swelling is present, many patients experience impaired eyelid functions. Some patients may not be able to open or close their eyes all the way during the first few days following surgery.
- Dry, itchy eyes: The eyes will likely appear red and feel dry, itchy, and irritated for the first several days after eyelid surgery. Patients will be prescribed eye drops that should be used as directed to help manage this discomfort. Artificial tears can also be used to keep the eyes lubricated.
- Light sensitivity: It is normal for the eyes to be sensitive to light while they recover from eyelid surgery. This can also result in excessive tearing. In addition to using prescribed eye drops, it is a good idea for patients to wear sunglasses whenever they are in the sun or wind to protect the eyes from sensitivity.
Although these side effects are completely normal, if any symptoms do not begin to dissipate within about seven to ten days after surgery, it is important to discuss this with the surgeon.
Schedule a Consultation
Eyelid surgery can smooth and tighten the skin around the eyes to rejuvenate your appearance and restore a more youthful glow. If you have loose skin, hooded eyelids, or under eye bags, schedule a consultation with one of our experienced plastic surgeons at The Landings Surgical Centre to find out if eyelid surgery is right for you.
Related to This
"Our doctors and staff are professional, friendly, calm and courteous. They have an excellent rapport with each other and work very much as a team."Beth Macourt