Am I a Good Tummy Tuck Candidate?
By The Landings Surgical Centre on August 11, 2014
It seems that no matter how healthy you eat or how many times you hit the gym, nothing can eliminate the stubborn fat or loose skin around your abdomen. Fortunately, at our Nova Scotia practice we offer the highly effective tummy tuck procedure. Candidates for the tummy tuck treatment are typically at or near their ideal weight, yet they are embarrassed by a loose or disproportionate stomach. If this scenarios sounds familiar, call The Landings Surgical Centre today. Our doctors will provide a full consultation to determine if a tummy tuck is right for you.
What to Expect from a Tummy Tuck
Tummy tucks are performed under general anesthesia. After you are sedated, your doctor will create an incision located in the pubic area. The exact length of the incision will depend on how much skin and muscle the doctor needs to remove. You may also require a second incision around your belly button. Whatever the exact location and size of the incisions, your surgeon will carefully conceal them in the natural contours of your body for minimal scarring. Then the doctor will gently lift up the skin and tighten the underlying muscles, removing any excess tissue. He may also use liposuction to eliminate stubborn fat cells. If needed, he will detach your belly button and relocate it higher up on your abdomen. Finally, he will remove excess skin and carefully lay it down over the new contours of your stomach. He will close the incisions with sutures or surgical tape.
Tummy Tucks after Weight Loss and Pregnancy
If you have recently experienced massive weight loss or a pregnancy, you may be an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck. Both pregnancy and excess body fat stretch out your skin and abdominal muscles. Even after your baby is born or you have lost the weight, your tissues may have lost elasticity and they may be too damaged to conform tightly to your smaller shape. By removing excess skin and tightening muscle tissue, your surgeon can give you a figure that more accurately reveals your healthy size.
Signs a Tummy Tuck May Be Right for You
Although a tummy tuck can be a great option, the procedure is not suitable for everyone. If you are considering cosmetic surgery, there are certain factors that can help determine your candidacy for this treatment:
- You are at or near your healthy weight: Tummy tucks are not weight loss procedures, and they can only enhance your natural size. If you plan to lose more weight in the future, you should delay cosmetic surgery until you achieve your goal.
- You are committed to a healthy lifestyle: Just as a tummy tuck will not help you lose weight, the procedure will not help you keep it off either (although your taut tummy may inspire you to maintain healthy habits.) Before undergoing this procedure, you should honestly evaluate your commitment to healthy eating habits and an active way of life.
- You are in good physical health: If you suffer from an underlying health condition, such as an autoimmune disease or a respiratory disorder, it may not be wise to receive unnecessary surgery. Such medical conditions could raise your risk for infection or complications with anesthesia. Not all medical concerns preclude you from plastic surgery, but you should be honest with your doctor at your initial consultation.
- You do not smoke: Smoking impairs the body’s healing process, raises your risk for complications, and increases recovery time. If you are a smoker, you should kick the habit before undergoing a tummy tuck.
- You have realistic expectations: Although a tummy tuck can have dramatic results, it is not a magic cure. To be considered for this treatment, you should have a healthy self-image that does not rely too heavily on your outward appearance. You never choose the treatment to meet someone else’s expectations. Rather, you should only undergo a tummy tuck for your own satisfaction and to enhance the results of your healthy lifestyle choices.
Find out If You’re a Tummy Tuck Candidate
To learn more about tummy tucks and to discover if this treatment is right for you, contact The Landings Surgical Centre today.
Related to This
"Our doctors and staff are cheerful, friendly, calm, courteous, and efficient. They have an excellent rapport with each other and work very much as a team."JoAnne Reid