The Breast Reduction Recovery Period
By The Landings Surgical Centre on May 11, 2014
A reduction mammoplasty, or breast reduction surgery, describes the removal of excess fat, skin, and tissue from one or both breasts to reduce their size and improve their form. Dr. Richard Bendor-Samuel and Dr. Louis Boileau may recommend a breast reduction if you feel as though your breasts are disproportionately large, or if their size causes you physical discomfort. From our Nova Scotia plastic surgery center, Drs. Boileau and Bendor-Samuel explain breast reduction, and the recovery process that follows, to help you understand what the procedure can do for you.
Recovering from the Surgery
- As with any plastic surgery, your body needs to heal following a breast reduction. You should expect to rest and recover from home for at least a week, or longer, if recommended.
- You may experience bruising and sensitivity in your chest for several weeks, and should refrain from strenuous activity until you’re no longer sore. If your job entails a lot of heavy lifting, or constant moving around, then you may be advised to rest at home for longer than just a week.
- The results of your breast reduction surgery should be immediately obvious, although swelling and scarring may take several months to subside.
- Dr. Bendor-Samuel and Dr. Boileau will provide specific instructions, as well as prescribe appropriate medications, to help facilitate a speedy and successful recovery. If you experience any unusual discomfort, or if pain and swelling persist, then call our office as soon as possible to schedule an examination.
The Benefits of a Breast Reduction
- If your previous breast size caused pain and soreness in your neck, shoulders, and back, then the aches should subside after your breast reduction surgery. Smaller, more proportionate breasts will alleviate the excessive pressure on the rest of your frame, improving your overall posture.
- If you were unhappy with how your previous breast size shaped your body’s frame, then the smaller cup size can significantly improve your confidence and self-image. The ability to exercise easier can also encourage you to be more active, which can also have resounding effects on your health and confidence.
- During your procedure, your doctor will reposition the nipples and areola of your breasts to better complement their new positions. At the same time, he can also resize the areola if you prefer to make them smaller.
- Breast reduction is often combined with a breast lift, which can make the breasts perkier by restoring lost volume and improving the shape of your bust line. While reducing their size, you can also choose to lift and reshape your breasts for the most aesthetically pleasing outcome.
Discuss Your Options by Scheduling a Consultation
If you’re unhappy with your breast size, then our highly-skilled plastic surgeons and caring, compassionate team can help you overcome your discontent. To learn more about breast reductions, or any of our other skin, body, breast, and facial procedures, contact our office today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Richard Bendor-Samuel and Dr. Louis Boileau. Our entire team is excited to meet you, and to help you achieve the ultimate, naturally beautiful appearance that you strive for.
Related to This
"Our doctors and staff are professional, friendly, calm and courteous. They have an excellent rapport with each other and work very much as a team."Beth Macourt